Statistics about the state of mental health in our schools.
– 6.3% of Australians aged 16 to 24 have experienced an affective disorder in the last 12 months.i* This is equivalent to 180,000 young people today. (Beyond Blue, 2015)
– One in four young Australians currently has a mental health condition (26.4% of Australians aged 16 to 24 currently have experienced a mental health disorder in the last 12 months. This is equivalent to 750,000 young people today.) (Beyond Blue, 2015)
– Certain risk factors present before 6 months of age can predict increasing levels of depressive and anxiety symptoms in the first 5 years of a child’s life. (Kidsmatter, 2015)
– Suicide is the biggest killer of young Australians and accounts for the deaths of more young people than car accidents. (324 Australians (10.5 per 100,000) aged 15-24 dying by suicide in 2012. This compares to 198 (6.4 per 100,000) who died in car accidents (the second highest killer.)) (Beyond Blue, 2015)
– Nearly 50% of mental health problems begin before the age of 14 (KidsMatter, 2015)
– One in five young people live with parents with mental health problems (AIHW, 2011)
– Nearly four in ten (38%) young people are victims of alcohol- and drug-related violence. (AIHW, 2011)
Want to add a stat here? Leave a comment with your awesome numbers (and where you found them please).