Statistics about how children with special needs are doing in our schools.
– In Australia there are 288,348 children with a disability (7% of all kids). (ABS, 2009)
– Between 2003 and 2009 the proportion of Australian children aged 0-14 years with a disability decreased from 8.2% to 7.0%.(ABS, 2009)
– Every 13 hrs, a child is born with cerebral palsy. (PWC, 2011)
– 1 in 1000 children born each year will have Down Syndrome. (PWC, 2011)
– Every 7 hrs, a child is diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. (PWC, 2011)
– Australia ranks 21 out of 29 OECD countries for labour force participation of people with a disability. (ABS, 2012)
– 36% of people with a disability aged 18-64yrs, have completed Year 12, compared with 60% of those without a disability. (ABS, 2012)
– 45% of those with a disability in Australia are living either near or below the poverty line, more than double the OECD average of 22% (ABS, 2012)
Want to add a stat here?
Leave a comment with your awesome numbers (and where you found them please).